Thursday, March 24, 2011

They All Sound Alike

Sandy called me earlier this week about Haroldine's home. At the time, she gave me minimal answers (yes and no) and didn't volunteer much more about herself. And, as we all know, the most information a landlord is ever going to get about a tenant is before they sign the lease. Talking to someone interested in my home should be a conversation. Not an inquisition. Needless to say, I wasn't terribly impressed by Sandy.

However, she gave me enough one-word answers that I passed her on to Jack. Jack (who is injured and can barely walk, let alone drive) was going to meet Sandy at Haroldine's Wednesday morning. Much to Jack's and my relief, Sandy changed her mind.  All along, Jack was luke warm on her; I was about the same.

Wednesday, Sandy called me in fits. You see, she changed her mind and called Jack back. Now she wants to see the home. And, she wants to move in this weekend. Jack wouldn't accommodate. "He's prejudice!" she exclaimed.

"Why, are you from Auburn? He is more of an Alabama fan." I replied.

Ok, I really didn't say this.

There really is no answer to someone claiming bigotry. I certainly didn't know she was black. She speaks incoherent Southern as far as I was concerned. Jack never met her either, so he didn't know what color she is. But more likely she was being wishy washy, and that was enough to send up a red flag for Jack.

If Jack hadn't been bothered by this, I would have been. And more to the point, anyone insulting Jack's integrity is enough for me to turn them away. Sandy has told me far more about her in a quick accusation than she had in the previous phone calls. I am done.

No comments: