Friday, March 04, 2011

An Easy Solution

Back in the olden days when I was writing proposals, I would get into philosophical debates with my colleagues about this particularly tired phrase: "We provide customized solutions to fit your needs."

As much as I disliked that phrase a gazillion years ago, I really disdain it now. And worse, it appears my colleagues have all now moved to prominent New York advertising agencies, because that cliche' is just about everywhere.

As a landlord, I don't want to provide customized solutions. I want to provide a home. My solution is for my tenant to pay the rent and leave me alone. As some of you might remember, I once had a tenant who asked me how she was supposed to pay the rent if she had the pay the electric bill. She was  seriously looking to me to solve her problem. My solution was for her to move.

This past week Haroldine and I have gone around in circles, with me totally understanding her situation. But it doesn't change the reality: Haroldine can't afford the home she lives in. I just don't have the patience to play along any more.

The Haroldine drama came to a head this past week, with me loosing my cool on her twice. It was warranted. She knew it. I knew it. I get it. Times are tough. And frankly, she isn't making it easier on anyone by staying. In fact, when she lamented on Thursday, that she couldn't "count on anyone." I pointed out I could sympathize--I was right then and there experiencing that exact same issue.


But I did offer her a solution: she needed to move. In fact, I was feeling so magnanimous, that I offered to put the house up for rent and let her continue renting until a suitable replacement tenant could be found. At that point, Haroldine could move and the replacement could move in. And, if we went this route, Haroldine was only responsible for the rent up through when the new tenant moved in.

This is definitely a solution customized to fit my needs.

No comments: