Sunday, March 06, 2011

He Had Me At "Bank Account"

In a perfect world, the home in Leeds would be rented with low-maintenance, quiet tenants who just pay when they are supposed to. But instead, I am once again looking for someone who marginally fits this bill.

Kirby, who understands my quest, has been tasked with finding someone qualified. And, I have to tell you my standards are low. I more or less want breathing and employed. Thankfully Kirby seems to have found someone to meet the minimum.

The latest potential renter to come our way is The Mom With A Job. The Mom With A Job is some sort of manager. She has been at her job for years. She has income and child support.  In fact, child support alone should cover a good portion of the rent. Additionally nobody in her home smokes and there are no pets.

The Mom With A Job apparently has just recently gone through a messy divorce. Her house was one of the casualties to this, as well as her credit. However, she has been current on her bills.

The only pressing issue right now is that The Mom With A Job has four kids. I am not sure that is something I want to take on again. I need more information before I decide about this. The last time more than two children resided in this home there was peanut butter and black marker on every wall. I am not sure I am up for that just yet.

However, just to sweeten the pot, Kirby did give me a another tid-bit to make her attractive. According to Kirby, she has a bank account. "Do they allow people with bank accounts to live in Leeds?" I asked.

"I won't tell if you won't." Kirby replied.

The Mom With A Job also has a live-in boyfriend. "Does he work too?" I asked.

"I don't think so. I think he is on disability. He is missing an arm." Kirby answered soberly. I respectfully bit my tongue--I am sure he is quite lovely. (I am not making fun of this man's plight, but really! Is it wise for one armed men to live in Leeds? Just imagine the cliche's alone.)

The Mom With A Job liked the house--even before the carpets were cleaned. I can't tell if this is a sign of desperation or a lack of standards on her part. The house really is cute--when the floors are clean. And if her kids are super-cute (and I am hoping I am not violating some federal fair housing law here), I might be willing to go forward.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Not to be a kill joy, but Mom of four kids, who just went through a messy divorce, already shacking up with (and exposing her children to) an unemployed boyfriend, does not scream good decision maker to me.