Saturday, February 26, 2011

Westward Home

I'm sitting at the Birmingham International Airport at some horrid hour waiting for my flight. It is the only non-stop to Phoenix today. In fact, this flight--any day of the week--is the only non-stop. So, no matter which day I had picked, I would be here way too early to be civilized.

This trip was productive, in the sense I got the main things accomplished that I wanted to get done. I saw Attorney Jon, which was absolutely imperative. I hadn't realized how much the scary-legal thing Attorney Jon is handling had been weighing on me. His visit alone was absolutely worth this trip.

I also got to sit in a very hard, wooden chair Friday for longer than I was anticipating, all the while answering repetitive questions. I don't know if I will ever be able to blog about the trial. It is still going on. There is a young child involved and the judge suggested it was in my best interest not to discuss it. So, unless your name is the same as Legal Eagle's, I would prefer not to go back to the courthouse. And, more importantly, I would prefer not to visit the detention center next door, thankyouverymuch.

My first ever courtroom experience wasn't the concise 60 minute episode one sees on Perry Mason or LA Law. John Grisham never wrote about these kind of courtroom antics--it reminded me of a pre-teen slumber party where some girl's feelings get hurt and the ensuing drama that follows. Think four different parties: all PMSy women lawyers with Southern drawls and one male judge who seemed to be on his last nerve. And, let's not forget one furious former tenant who would not look me in the eye--even though I stared right at her.

Soon I will be on my plane, heading home to Marty Sunshine, Polly and Buckaroo. And though this may not make much sense to you dear readers, please let me tell you this anyway: me saying Polly coming into this world was a true miracle and Buckaroo is a kind and generous soul is not ultra-personal information about my life. No matter if some lawyer with really hurt feelings suggests it is.

No comments: