Friday, June 05, 2009

I So Need a Vacation

On my first trip out to Alabama several years ago, Marty Sunshine made an innocent quip about me just "taking a vacation." If you have ever been in a relationship or if you happen to be female, you know the type of look he he got.

My Alabama trip is not a vacation. It is a concentrated amount of work on a very tight time schedule with the luxury of having no time differences. In the past, I have been up at 6 a.m. and back to the hotel sometimes as late as 11 p.m. Generally my trip consists of errands and a ton of running around taking care of minor things that have been put on hold for the past few months.

I also meet with all the major players (lawyers, mortgage guys, some tenants and Jack) who have been going to bat for me for an extended amount of time and discussing with them what the next steps are. Because of the uncertainty of the economy and the housing market, I don't know what the future holds. They don't either, so we commiserate and brainstorm.

A lot of what I do while I am there is essentially relationship building. I get out for a dinner with Jack and Mrs. Jack. I have lunch with Legal Eagle too. These are all business appointments. We all like each other--which makes this much easier--but I am still on the clock. I am there to work.

I will also see Carolsue--which is always a hoot. I always learn about some obscure Southern tradition or Southern history hanging out with her.

I will be checking out my vacant homes immediately (Mrs. Martin assures me she is moving out today). I may also have to go attorney shopping, as soon as Legal Eagle hears all the dirt going on and can "properly" direct me to someone who can help me with my situation. Actually, I do have some Legal Eagle type things for her that are covered under attorney-client privilege.

Oh yes, there is the whole inspection thing. But, Carolsue is handling that.

I am an serious introvert by nature. As much as I like these people and am totally grateful for their support, seven days of constant human interaction drains everything out of me. I look forward to the flight home just so I can plug in my ipod and read a Rex Stout mystery. I don't pretend to be social on the plane ride home. It is just me, Clapton and Archie Goodwin. And those three hours of solitude are my vacation.

2 comments:

Ernie said...

When I was a regional sales manager I had the same (well intended) tug of war whenever I had to visit a part of my territory that I didn't get to very often. It's like being dropped in the midst of a bunch of 2 year olds. They ALL want to show you their new toy NOW and by the end of the day, your face hurts from all the (oftentimes) forced smiles & your tummy hurts from all the "you just gotta eat here" crappy food & all you want to do is close the blinds, turn off the phone & disappear. Bless your heart!! Just bear in mind - I get to show you MY new toy first! LOL

BusyMommy said...

Well, you certainly earn your three hours:D