Sunday, June 14, 2009

At Least the Roof Didn't Cave In

We were headed to Tucson Sunday afternoon to visit with family when Carolsue called. The exchange went like this.

CS: I want you to apologize to Marty right now for me.
Me: Why?
CS: Because you are about to be in a very bad mood.

Apparently there have been bad rainstorms in Alabama this weekend. The National Weather Service has issued warnings to gather the animals two by two. Reservations are being taken on the ark. I am quite thankful the skies opened up after I left.

However, according to Carolsue, my home in Fultondale now has an indoor swimming pool. The basement consists of a former one car garage now converted to a bonus room/storage room/office/fourth bedroom. There is also a laundry room and a finished basement turned into a family room. All of these rooms now sport about 1/2 inch of water.

Fortunately, the only room with flooring currently is the family room. Even more fortunately, nobody was living there with their personal possessions destroyed. No tenant is going to scream "toxic mold" because there is now water damage. That is interesting too--because there was no sign of prior water damage, so this is a new development or this is the first major flood in the area.

Carolsue--bless her--already assigned Sid to take care of this, assuring me the exterior wall needs some flashing and repair. Of course, I need carpet for the family room now. And, I already have a source for that too.

The water will dry. It will get fixed. It certainly is an annoyance. I am not excited about spending more time and resources on getting this repaired (it doesn't sound like it is enough for an insurance claim and I really, REALLY, dislike Alpha Adjuster enough that I don't want to even bother with something so small).

I never reached totally freaked out. And, I never hit "bad mood" because of this. I feel like I should be much more upset than I am. But I am not.

2 comments:

Lori said...

why does this stuff always always ALWAYS happen right as you're about to leave town or do something fun? ALWAYS.

glad it turned out to be not TOO bad!

BusyMommy said...

Good for you! I'm sorry that this happened, but I love how well you are handling it. Sadly, that might be because you've had a lot of practice...