Thursday, March 08, 2012

Where's The Catch?

My tenants on Waterford Lane have surprised me. Last I heard, they were month to month. I was told they wanted to stay long enough to buy a home. I was also told they needed to move because the home they are in (about 1400 square feet) isn't really big enough to encompass their growing family. Fair enough. They pay their rent on time. They only complain when the air conditioner doesn't work (which, hopefully has been permanently fixed now).

The Waterford Tenants are part of the conglomeration of homes Kirby manages. So, if there is more than the above going on, I just don't know.

However, I got a work order today (one of the "no-reply" e-mails Kirby sends out when there are repairs needed to the property). It said: "CAN SHE PULL UP CARPET & REPLACE WITH LAMINATE FLOORING AT HER EXPENSE?"

This doesn't sound like someone who feels the need to leave in 30 days. This sounds like someone who wishes to make their lives a bit better and their home more comfortable. I am ok with this. More or less.

I did reply to Kirby and to the only other contact I have at Kirby's office with the following:

"Probably. What rooms will the flooring be in? What color laminate? Can we see a picture of the flooring prior to putting it in? Who will be hauling away the carpeting? Who is doing the work? Will it be inspected after completion by a member of your staff?"

Still waiting to hear back. I am all for this. But I would rather have my questions answered first.

1 comment:

CarolSue said...

I'm on your side with this one. Remember when Mr. Smith laid laminate? While the laminate was nice....his installation job certainly left a lot to be desired. These DIY TV shows make it appear that laying laminate is as easy as frosting a cake....it's not. It's only that easy if your floor is perfectly level and you have no "cuts" to make. When was the last time you ever heard of a perfectly level floor?