Friday, March 09, 2012

For Miss Number 4

I ran across Attorney Jon through a ton a happenstance. I was working with the Rajun Cajun--the world's sleaziest real estate agent--and she had her own closing attorney she liked. I didn't like her closing attorney. I started asking around and found Attorney Jon.

When I talked to him initially and explained my business model, he replied with a guttural "uh huh" (complete with drawl) which I learned through time was his trademark way of saying, "please continue." He completely understood my business model. That was a far cry from the Rajun Cajun and her attorney. They just smiled politely and said, "bless your heart" every time I patiently explained what I was doing. Not Attorney Jon. He asked relevant questions and showed a genuine interest. Through time his seal of approval on anything I was doing became as imperative as a stamp is to the US Postal Service.

Attorney Jon and I had a professionally friendly relationship. He always made himself available to answer my questions. He offered sound, professional advice and he introduced me to some amazing people: Jack; Legal Eagle, Matt the Loan Officer; John the Loan Officer and a few others I am blessed to have met along the way.

I knew all along Attorney Jon was special--though I can't give you a specific reason why. It wasn't just me. Everyone who knew him thought so. It was the way Attorney Jon would remember details and take time to help with the simplest of tasks. It was the extra things he did. For example, one time he called me from his car at 8 p.m. in the parking lot of the local school while waiting for his daughter to finish her basketball practice. In the backseat was his youngest and he vacillated between polishing up a contract I was writing and giving attention to his child. He never billed me for that hour. In fact, he rarely billed me at all. Even when I asked him to.

Back in 2008, right before the economy tanked, he met with Marty and me, endorsed my new and improved business model and got me an appointment with a major SEC attorney.  Though that didn't pan out (and looking back, it is definitely for the best), the experience was amazing. All because of Attorney Jon.

I only met Attorney Jon out socially twice. The first invitation was extended through Jack. Apparently I was sufficiently charming enough that Mrs. Attorney Jon invited me over for dinner a couple nights later. I had an opportunity to meet four of Attorney Jon's five daughters.  He numbered them when he spoke of them: 1 through 5. Number 4 is Polly's age and the night I visited she melted my heart with her charm and sweetness.

I think about Number 4 now and then. Legal Eagle tells me she watched Number 4 the day of Attorney Jon's funeral, in front of her daddy's casket, her chest heaving, crying inconsolably.  My heart aches for her. She's 11. That's too young to loose a father. She's too young to have do deal with the whys of the world and navigate through the scary. 

Someday, Miss Number 4, you may happen upon this blog and know another piece on how awesome your daddy was. He was a brilliant and generous man.

These past few weeks, I have run across many Attorney Jon items in my life. I got an e-mail from Loan Officer Matt, asking if I knew about Attorney Jon. I found some paperwork Attorney Jon handled for me. I found a pen he gave me with the name of an accounting firm during the time I was working on the SEC business plan. I have found e-mails. And I relayed a story about how my GPS got me lost in Birmingham back in 2007 and Attorney Jon's secretary had to help me find my way. Just silly memories. But lots of them.

Four people I know left this world last year, ranging in age from 21 to 87. Two of those where expected two were not. Attorney Jon was one of the unexpected and his death hit me the hardest. There is nobody to talk with about that fact that I miss someone I had a professionally friendly relationship with. He was a well-respected and admired man by me and by others. But I am on the outside. I am grieving his loss all alone.

It doesn't seem proper to ask Jack--a Southern man through and through--how he is doing with the death of his friend of 30 years. Though I consider Jack a friend, I am under the impression if he wanted to share, he would. When I inquired once about Mrs. Attorney Jon recently, he changed the subject. I hope she is coping. I hope they all are.

No comments: