Friday, June 27, 2008

The Non-Tenant

I had Trusted Tenant. Trusted was my eyes, ears and delivery service in Birmingham. The everyday tasks of my business ran much smoother to some degree because of Trusted. For that, I am truly grateful.

Trusted picked the house we bought for him to rent. He liked it and the place suited his personality. He liked the location, the high walls, to proudly display his stuffed deer heads, the layout of the home, which gave him a sitting room and a studio. His achievements were proudly hung on walls. He loved the jet tub, and he was nuts about fireplace, where I watched him a time or two sitting in front of, reading his Bible. As far as he--and we--were concerned, the house belonged to him.

Several months ago, Trusted's life got way too complicated. And, he finally needed to move out. I predicted this in April. I even told Trusted he probably needed to think about moving. Not because I was forcing him out, but because it would be in his best interest. Trusted disagreed, held on and finally came to the same conclusion.

One of the really nice things about Trusted is his sense of honor and loyalty. He left before I had to ask. And, before the courts insisted. He also left the place clean--including cleaning the carpets. He even continued showing the house until today. Showing the house became too much, as he moved 90 miles north of where he was. He called me today apologizing that he just wasn't in a place where he could do that any more. The fact he lasted as long as he did was a minor miracle in itself. I am grateful he was able to do it at all.

So, now I have an unrented house. Fortunately, it is in a nice neighborhood. But the rent is higher than most of my properties. Which helps keep out the undesirables. I hope.

While I was in Alabama two weeks ago, I met some of the neighbors. Today, I spoke with one who offered to show the house for me. Another is willing to take care of the lawn. So, there are options to getting this place rented. Hopefully rented soon. And, more importantly, rented to someone of Trusted's caliber.

As far as Trusted goes, he is currently hiding in his man-cave and has come up for air on two occasions to talk to me. Both times were about the house. I suspect I won't be hearing from Trusted about life in general for a while. He needs time to get his life back in order. I told him to call or write when he can.

In one of my brief conversations, with my husband's blessing, I told Trusted I wouldn't sell the house. Instead I would rent it out for a year and see where his life was at that time. Maybe he will be in a place to take his house back.

Trusted's home.

No comments: