Monday, June 30, 2008

The Unshowable Home

It has always been somewhat of a challenge to get my homes showed. It has something to do with the fact I am 1700 miles from them.

Because this home is at the far end of the metro Birmingham area, I had been reluctant to ask one of the two former tenants to show this place. Trusted threw out an idea for me recently, why not just have one of his fabulous former neighbors show it? After all, they told me when I was there, if I needed anything to please just let them know. So, Trusted enlisted their help and the rest should have been a cake walk.

If it only could have been so simple! Neighbor 116 was supposed to show it on Saturday, but got into a bit of a row with a prospective tenant. He told me all the details and I really couldn't do much other than let it go and make a mental note that he would not be showing the home for me again. In all fairness, he probably saved me grief down the road--whether from a feud breaking out between the 116's and the McCoy's or from just trying to hunt down these folks when the rent was due.

At any rate, I won't be asking 116 to show it again. But, then again, he is on vacation starting today. He sweetly passed the keys over to neighbor 114. I haven't spoken to 114 about showing the place, however, apparently 116 did.

I met 114 while I was there earlier this month. 114 is a nice family man with one of those perfectly manicured yards. The inside of his home is also perfect--which blows me away because he has two toddlers. Anyway 114 told me (and also independently told 116 and Trusted) he is very concerned about who moves in next to him. I gather this means someone who doesn't own a lawn mower will be trouble.

Do I want 114 to show it? Probably not. I am envisioning 114 introducing himself to a prospective tenant, explaining about how everyone takes care of the yard and homes. Then goes and sizes up these folks on his behalf and tells them no the landlord will not rent to them because they had scuffed shoes.

Me: "114 why did you tell them they couldn't rent the house?"
114: "The husband had dirty fingernails."
Me: "He is a mechanic and just came from work!"

I bit the bullet yesterday and called Former Tenant #2. A delightful person, she and her family came over from South Africa a few years ago. I got involved with her because they could not get a loan for a home until her husband had been at his job for 12 months. He was on month 10, but they had found a home. They were fabulous renters, terrific mortgagees and have now refinanced. They don't owe me money. They never defaulted and I have a great amount of trust in her.

I sent her keys this morning along with a detailed note about how to show this home. In my instructions I wrote:

"Neighbors 116 and 114 may pop their heads over and say hello. It would be ideal if they did not do this when someone is looking at the home, but I understand you cannot control this. If this happens, please just be gracious and we will all hope for the best."

1 comment:

Nancy Case said...

Wonderful blog. You are an amazing writer.