Sunday, February 14, 2016

A Random Posting from a Very Tired Student

So, I have spent the weekend studying for my broker's test. And at this point, I am confident I can pass the owner financing and property management section of the test (which happen to make up the two major components of we somewhat unsuccessfully did in Birmingham). My knowledge of everything else on the test is still questionable, though Marty Sunshine assures me I will be fine.

Studying has reminded me of a lot of Accidental Business aspects I have chosen to bury. Like how Jack and Late Attorney Jon approached us in 2007 about starting a Real Investment Trust and offered to bring in investors, using my business model and other people's money. They liked what I had to offer. They knew people who also liked what they heard about my accidental business. In fact, they had already been pitching the idea on our behalf long before they came to me.

Late Attorney Jon also got me in front of an SEC attorney in early 2008 so I could sell my idea and start the ball rolling. The attorneys bought off and were willing to work with us. All they needed in January of 2008 was commitment from us that we were ready to go forward. Then, the Birmingham economy crashed. That crash actually happened about four months before the rest of the country. But the distraction of our business model crashing, and the ensuing blog fodder from that experience meant we never went forward.

Oddly enough, though our business model was considered (by some) as "genius" at the time. It would now be considered felonious, because of the implementation of the Dodd-Frank Act in 2009. Everything has a purpose. And a season.

Polly and I were talking the other day and I said the biggest mistake I feel we made in our accidental business was not having a Plan B. Yes, we had an exit strategy. We just didn't have a secondary exit strategy. That's what we really needed. If nothing else, if I ever do anything along these lines again (IF) I will be wiser. And I will have a back up plan, a secondary back up plan and a tertiary back up plan.

Tuesday I take the school portion of my broker's test. It is five hours. It is broken down into two, 200 question tests that encompasses real estate law and real estate financing (not to be confused with the "owner financing" section I know with my eyes closed). Provided I pass, I will then, as some undisclosed date in time, take the state test, which is also comprised of two 200 question tests: a national portion and an Arizona specific portion.

What am I going to do with my new-found broker's license (provided I get that far)? I have no earthly clue. More or less, at this point I am just crossing it off my bucket list. I will then go on to my least-favorite activity this time of year: taxes. After taxes are done, maybe I will clean the house and move on with my life. But right now, that seems very far away.


1 comment:

The Home Genie said...

Best of luck on your test Tuesday. I'm not sure you really need "luck", but I'm hoping it goes very well after the time invested so that you can get back to the normal routine.