Thursday, October 01, 2015

Karma

So I work for a property management company. Last year, one of our owners from Canada came down to Arizona to visit their five properties. They also wanted to buy another--which was where I came in. I found them the best deal ever on a home. They got it for $70,000 under market.

In exchange for jumping through a lot of hoops and finding them the bargain of the century, they wrote a note to the broker telling him how incompetent I happen to be. Of course, nobody on my end believed it and my conscience was clear.

Fast forward to six months later. One of their properties came vacant. As part of my job, I found them not one, not two, but three qualified tenants to rent this home. All of them would have been dream tenants. All of them were rejected for various reasons, including in one case--and I am not making this up--though the husband's monthly salary was more than than five times the monthly rent and they had no debt and a sizable savings account, the wife didn't work outside the home. And, what would happen if the husband lost his job? Who would pay the rent then?

At that point, I recused myself, told my broker he was on his own and he could find tenants for these yahoos. I also made it clear I would never, ever show any of their rentals. Ever.

This past week one of their rentals came vacant. And, what did these folks do? They fired my broker and have decided to rent it out and manage it themselves from Canada. Best of luck to them. They will need it.


No comments: