Monday, October 05, 2015

This Isn't The "Right Property"

If you aren't aware of this particular tid-bit about me, I hate showing rentals. Yes. I work for a property management company, but for the most part, I sell real estate for a property management company. Rentals. Not so much.

However, my kids are addicted to groceries. And, with Buckaroo in two sports and about to turn 13 in a matter of days, we go through a lot of groceries. A lot. So, I show rentals.

One of the nifty aspects of real estate is I can advertise other people's listings. Yes, I need permission (unless the rentals are from my company), but being able to do so allows me to generate leads. And essentially a filled rental home makes for a happy owner and a full belly for Buckaroo.

Anyway, I recently ran an ad for a home. As you may remember from our Landlord 101 final exam a few years ago on this blog (which I am pleased to say the three of you passed), the most information you will ever find out about a tenant is from the time they show any interest in a home to the moment they sign the lease. That in mind, this is the response I got from a guy named Ray for an ad I ran. It came in this past Saturday night.

"I am interested in this rental and would like to schedule a viewing today. My roommate are looking to move into a property as soon as Monday. We have cash in hand and are ready to move on the right property. Can I see this property tomorrow?"

Now, mind you, the dude didn't call me--which would make a heck of a lot more sense if he has the urgency I seem to be reading into this. It also appears he can't make up his mind. Did he want to see this house on Saturday or Sunday. Marty Sunshine was even questioning whether or not he was real. That aside, there are a few reasons why I would never rent to him if this were my property.

1) He sounds desperate. If you are willing to move within two days (mind you it takes about two business days to run a background check, credit check and landlord check), why? Are you being kicked out of your current home? Did you not realize the month rolled over and are just exhibiting poor planning skills? Owners don't like poor planning skills from tenants. It tends to become a monthly trend, which involves poor planning with the rent.

2) He has a roommate. That probably means he can't afford the rent himself (which in this case is $1200). Most landlords (me and the company I work for included) require a tenant to have a monthly income of three times the monthly rent. If you need a roommate, you probably are not going to fall into that category. And what happens if Ray and his roomie have a falling out and the roommate leaves? Can Ray afford the rent or does he bail on an unsuspecting owner?

That was rhetorical by the way. We all know the answer to this because it was in the Landlord 102 final exam.

3) And finally, Ray has cash. Nowhere in his quick message did it say anything about him having the "money" for rent and deposits. Just that he has "cash." Of course, there is the usual cliches about the kinds of folks who have all cash businesses. Ray sounds like a nice, Italian name. Don't you think?

But drug runners and mafia aside there is the screaming subtext of, "I don't have a bank account" or "My credit is so bad that I cannot get a checking account." Most owners don't accept potential tenants who do not have bank accounts. These folks tend to look more transient. And less reliable. And the question coming to my mind is why is this person not grown up enough to have a bank account? Granted it isn't against the law to keep your money in an empty fruit cocktail can in the pantry, but it is nonconforming. Owners tend to appreciate conforming. And stability.

I did not respond to Ray. For one thing, today is Monday. I didn't work this past Sunday so I didn't get his message in time. And second, I don't want to help him. My feeling is that he first needs to help himself.

No comments: