Friday, October 04, 2013

You've Now Read It All

So Ms. Angie went to jail again. For those of you keeping track, that was twice in 30 days. I would raise a skeptical eyebrow and say, "uh huh" but it really wouldn't change the realities here.

What I do know is that Ms. Angie's September rent hasn't shown up. I did receive most of August's rent (late) and I have no reason not to believe her. Let's face it, Ms. Angie (nor anyone else) has ever used the excuse, "I was in jail and I needed the rent money to bail me out." Twice. Ever. And I promise you, I have heard some very interesting excuses.

I find her story somewhat plausible because both times this happened in Leeds. And, as a matter of interest, I almost got arrested in Leeds once for taking a picture on the public sidewalk. I was told later by someone (Jack I think, but it might have been Carolsue) that if I hadn't been white I probably would have been arrested. Now, I am not saying Leeds is a bigoted backwater 1940s, Southern town, but let the inferences land where they may.

And as another matter of interest, it would be best not to have an African American rent the home I have in Leeds (if it were available). That is, if an African American actually wanted to rent my home in Leeds. So far no one has jumped at that opportunity. But I digress...

Anyway, Ms. Angie was arrested again on (what she tells me) an outstanding traffic warrant. I told her to please stay out of Leeds. Leeds doesn't like her. And, because I currently have two vacancies in this particular LLC and if I were to let her go I would take an immediate reduction in rent--barring I got the place rented prior to January--I am working with her again this month. Besides, other than the last two months, she has been a really good tenant.

When I spoke with her today I made her cry. I think if I had gotten angry and nasty, she would have felt better. But I was already weary with this week's drama on actually paying the mortgages. So, I wasn't up to yelling at her.

I believe in my heart this will be straightened up. She will pay off her debt to me (I expect to see some money in a week or so). In the mean time, it would be best if Ms. Angie just stayed out of jail.

No comments: