Friday, October 18, 2013

Nobody Has To Read This

It is an understatement to say October, 2013 has been one of my toughest. I don't wish to whine about my personal life. But come on, 2013 as a whole has kind of sucked. It isn't just the Alabama accidental business either. But I have to tell you, that alone is playing a larger than necessary role in my already totally crappy October.

There was a time a few years back when we were faced with tough times in our accidental business and I would actively look for solutions. Then we used up those solutions. Then other tough times happened and we managed to endure. Then things went well for a very long stretch. In fact I even thought--dare I say it--the worst was over.

Then we had a vacant home that will never be rented. Then Ms. Angie went to jail twice. Then we had a tenant skip out. Then Mrs. Green needed to move. And then this past week Daisy, Kirby's assistant, sent me an email yesterday saying the people in Fultondale need to be evicted. NOW.

The house in Fultondale happens to be one of the three Marty Sunshine and I own without a partner. So for those of you keeping track: we have the one in Grayson Valley that Jack bailed on us, the vacant one that Mrs. Green lived in (and is currently vacant) and the one in Fultondale.

In the past three weeks (on top of the utterly other rotten things going on) Marty and I have done some serious financial maneuvering to figure out if we can hold on. We changed our personal budget to accommodate our issues over there, including dropping a lot of extras in our lives and changing Marty's retirement holdings. We are looking at refinancing a couple of homes--which never goes well, given banks don't to like to refinance for landlords who have more than four properties. So, I am not certain we will be refinancing.

I don't have the money to pay the property taxes. Nor do I have the money to pay November's mortgages if Ms. Angie goes to jail again. If Kirby doesn't get these places rented, I will definitely not have December's mortgage money either. That's a big concern. It used to be this made me anxious. Now I am just embittered.

Yesterday Kirby gave me numbers for potential outcomes if I sell the home in Moody. It is doable--if indeed anyone will quickly buy the home. It doesn't do me well to let the property sit vacant for four months waiting for a buyer. So, we are looking into that. It is also one of the homes Marty is speaking with the bank about refinancing.

Marty Sunshine tells me this blog post is "incredibly negative." What if it is? This is where I'm at right now. It ain't pretty, but it is the best I can do.

No comments: