Friday, April 29, 2011

Tornado Update

I spent Thursday tracking down folks. Apparently, concern is a good enough reason for Ms. Shirley to decide we were on a first-name basis--at least for that moment. Her family is fine. She is also under the impression Mr. 114 and his family are fine too. Of course, she rehashed variations of what I have heard on the news, also including "I've never seen anything like it."

Mr. and Mrs. Robin are good too. Their home needed a new roof before the storm. But apparently it held up well. It is still in tact, so no insurance claim there that I know of. Ms. Robin hadn't seen anything like Tuesday's storms either.

Mrs. Sherwood had never seen anything like it either. When I talked to her, she told me of sitting in the basement, spending four hours clutching to her two year old granddaughter. Both were scared out of their minds. Sadly, Mrs. Sherwood had a casualty. She couldn't get to her dog in time. She doesn't know where he is--or if he is even alive any more.

One of the biggest cells from the storms Wednesday was aiming right at Carolsue, Mrs. Sherwood and Ms. Angie. All three told me they thought they were goners. All three told me the storm made an abrupt left turn, aiming North towards Pinson, then West towards Fultondale. I haven't talked to my tenants in those areas yet.

I put a note out two a few others and just haven't heard back. One of whom is Ms. Kathy. She is actually someone I need a welfare check on. Carolsue tells me most likely Ms. Kathy just doesn't have power. I am hoping that is just the case. One of the F5 touched down very close to her home. Her home is in the back of the neighborhood, but tornadoes aren't very fussy about where they land.

For those who didn't see it, here is the link to the video Carolsue posted.

No comments: