Saturday, April 30, 2011

But for the Grace of God

It appears that most of my gazillion tenants are all accounted for. I haven't heard back from about four of them. But, it looks like so far no damage. I will be in awe if I am the only homeowner in Birmingham who doesn't have to file an insurance claim.

Kirby is supposed to get back to me about the house in Fultondale and the one in Leeds. But, he seems to think the house in Fultondale is fine--even though across the road the Zaxby's and the rest of the shopping center are all splinters now.

Ms. Kathy checked in on Friday. She and her family are fine. However, her neighborhood suffered tremendous damage. There are several homeless neighbors.. Ms. Kathy's home was untouched, minus a tree that fell on to her fence. And even of that, the fence wasn't damaged.

Chatting with Ms. Kathy filled me with a tremendous amount of gratitude. I had tears streaming as she told me about how the neighborhood had organized certain homes for the homeless and how they--as a community--had organized relief efforts for each other.

Given the amount of damage, I must say, I feel totally blessed to be so fortunate. I am glad my tenants were safe and have a place to live. It could have looked very different.

(On a side note, in my other job on Friday I talked to a man in Tuscaloosa. He only had the clothes he was wearing and his couch left. The apartment he was living in is uninhabitable and he needed to rent a truck to move his couch. It made me cry all over again.).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I can't imagine how you felt to talk with that poor man. SOOOOOO the house kitty corner to Ms. Kathy's didn't blow off to Kansas???

Fiona D. said...

It seemed rather tacky to ask if Mr. Smith was the death in Moody.

Anonymous said...

Maybe. But I'd still ask. In a polite southern way. Something like, "I'm just so glad you are okay. What about poor Mr. Smith? Did his house make it through okay?" See? You're sounding concerned but getting the info you want at the same time! Southern speak is awesome!

Fiona D. said...

I don't think I could keep the joyful hope out of my voice.

It was all I could do when she was telling me about all the homeless in her neighborhood and how they were setting up "shelters" in people's living rooms not to say "don't let that man in my home." I am sorta vainly hoping that was understood, but given the whole natural disaster thing, probably not.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure she knows better than to offer shelter to that bum. He was technically homeless before the tornado. He doesn't have a home - he mooches off his father in law. Doesn't count.