Monday, June 20, 2016

The Friendly Divorce

Mr. and Mrs. Partner and I sat at our Arizona attorney's office today discussing how to dissolve our LLC. It was surreally peaceful, as we all told the attorney we loved each other and then joined hands to a rousing chorus of Kumbayha.

Ok, we really didn't sing.

This LLC Divorce process is not done. But at least now we have a game plan in place. After today's meeting, I went home and tried to figure out what our gazillion properties are worth. Diamond Jim and the lawyers want to know. Our target deadline for the LLC Divorce is June 30, but realistically July 31. Though, to be fair, we don't have to wait until the end of any specific month to make this happen.

Oh yes, I should probably mention. There is no real "divorce." Marty and I are married; so are the Partners. It is just the LLC we are divorcing. Marty didn't come to the meeting today because he was at work and the meeting with the attorney was in North Phoenix. But I digress...

So far, I have tasked Legal Owl, Diamond Jim and Kirby with a variety of tasks. Waiting for everyone else to do their jobs is maddening. And, as I say this, I just envisioned Bliz snorting Starbucks through her nose, because I vaguely remember I probably owe her a few items to make this happen too.

Speaking of Bliz, my next meeting is Friday with her. Mr. Partner is coming along, which is too bad because I would rather just hang out with her than talk business.

Divorcing an LLC is not as easy as one would think. I actually have three pages of checklists and notes, all with deadlines coming up soon--especially if we want to pay our mortgages. On top of all this, there is still the every day Accidental Business stuff to handle. There is also my regular job, household duties and Mom duties (Buckaroo is in the second of his two golf camp this week. Seriously? Two golf camps?! Who could possibly like golf this much??).

Normally I am not this organized about things I hate doing--and crunching numbers and schmoozing lawyers is never high on my list (unless you happen to be the attorney who happens to be one of my three readers--I like you.). But right now, it is necessary.

Last week my stress level was at an all-time high, as I tried maneuvering through this chaos. On Thursday, I actually wrote a letter to tenants and then realized Friday I sent them the wrong information so I had to send out a second letter. This week, however, with our LLC Divorce action plan in place, I am a lot more peaceful. Part of this I credit to Mr. and Mrs. Partner who have broken their backs and offered us lots of love and support, which is pretty great especially because Marty and I did not give them a lot of choice in the matter. That alone has made a huge difference. Hopefully it was stay this amiable.

No comments: