Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Why? Because I Prefer Not To Think About It

I managed to miss the pow-wow with Mr. Partner today. Fate stepped in and decided to make my air conditioner die this morning. So, darn! I had to wait for the AC guy instead of rehashing the same tired conversations between the Sunshines and the Partners once again.

This time, Mr. Partner threw in a new one. He wanted to know why I don't tell him right away when we have repairs. Even as I write this, I am looking dumbfounded at the sentence above. Mr. Partner is supposed to be a silent partner--one who only gets information on a quarterly basis. Granted, it is more of a quarterly-ish basis, but still!

When I get a call from Ms. Angie at 6 a.m. telling me a widget fell off the thingy and it needs to be fixed by the local tradesman in the next hour or the house will flood/catch fire/implode, I am not thinking "Hm... should I wake up Mr. Partner and ask his permission to call a plumber, electrician, shaman?"

What I am thinking "Why does this stuff always happen at horrid hours of the morning and more importantly why does Ms. Angie only speak with perfect diction when she has a crisis at her home?" I have been doing this routine for 10 years. The plumber/electrician/shaman's phone numbers are all programmed into my phone. They know me. They send me post cards from exotic locales. They send me thank you cards for financing their yachts. We have a system.

It isn't that I am purposely ignoring Mr. Partner. But, I have to tell you, once the said tradesman is contacted, the issue is resolved and I can no longer understand Ms. Angie, I put the entire scenario out of my head until the bill comes.

1 comment:

CarolSue said...

Sounds to me as if Mr. Partner is in the money panic mode for a reason that has zero to do with the business arrangement between you and him. I'd ignore him as best I could and continue business as usual. What are his alternatives if you do??