Thursday, March 07, 2013

Why We Don't Have Peace in the Middle East

I am told I have the house in Alabaster rented--even without the fourth bedroom.

The potential tenants in question, treated the entire rental application like they were negotiating a peace accord in the Middle East. I treated it with a mild amusement and told Daisy I wasn't impressed. 

The folks wanted the wall colors to match. Fair enough. Right now there is about 15 colors on every wall. Ms. Shirley, a former tenant from a year ago, did this and then stiffed me the last month's rent as she left never to be heard from again. Fortunately, Mr. Wonderful Former Tenant was a self-proclaimed "guy" and just didn't care about mis-matched paint smears randomly placed on every wall.


The prospective tenants also wanted a stove from the modern age. Check. I was already planning on putting one in.


They told me they would "bypass" the fact the fourth bedroom wasn't done. I explained to Daisy they could bypass this fact up their a$$, because there isn't a fourth bedroom and there will never be a fourth bedroom and if they can't figure out the difference between an attic and a bedroom I can't help them.

The tenants then told me if I would take $200 less for the monthly rent, they could pay a year up front. I countered back with they could pay the full amount of rent every month and we would get along just fine. I don't want a year up front, it would be harder to get rid of them if things don't work out.

The potential tenants own a packing and shipping store nearby, so while I was at the Alabaster house, I swung by to see what I thought. I told Daisy I would only call her back if I hated them. What I discovered is the owner was busy helping someone. He was business-like. I didn't see or hear anything that raised any red flags while watching him. There were two young men (presumably the two sons I heard this tenant has) in the store also who were very helpful, asking repeatedly if they could help. Given there isn't much to do in a pack and shipping store if one isn't packing or shipping, I looked out of place. So, after a minute or two, I left.

I don't hate them. And, if they can pay--which it looks like they probably can--it is fine by me. I was planning on painting the patchwork quilt of color on the walls and a new stove anyway. But, let them think they won that part of the negotiation. Perhaps that will stop them from asking for an indoor pool.

1 comment:

CarolSue said...

LOVE the paint job!