Thursday, March 21, 2013

Up In The Air

I am not sure I will ever find the energy to write all that needs to be written about the house in Grayson Valley. This is the house that we bought with Jack, that he "managed" and then returned to us. The house in question went through a tenant a year, with little drama, other than having to turn it over. It rented easily for the most part. The rent for this house is pretty high for Birmingham in general, but not for the neighborhood.

Right now the home is vacant. I am not able to get a tenant until I have some of the maintenance issues resolved. One of the reasons I went to Birmingham was to find out if the home in question needs a roof. You see, Mr. Little, my now former tenant sent me pictures showing me where it was leaking. In his estimation, as a computer programmer--who has no experience with roofing whatsoever--it needed a roof. I didn't know. I know it was leaking. And, Mr. Little was was there. I am here.

So, when I got there, one of the main tasks I had planned was to have someone look at the roof and tell me if indeed it needed to be replaced. My roofer said yes. Kirby said he wasn't sure. The roof looked like a roof to me. I just want the darn house rented out.

At any rate, the Monday I was in Birmingham, I called my insurance agent and asked for their honest assessment. After all, given my experience with insurance adjusters not wanting to reimburse me when the tenant stole the carpeting and kitchen sink, I guarantee if it doesn't need a roof, he is going to let me know.

And, that was two weeks and four days ago. I have heard nothing since. And, because the roof is the first item that needs to be fixed before I can have the walls painted. And before I can have James, the Hell's Angel, Turned Carpet Installer out there to put in new flooring, all is on hold until I know whether or not the roof needs to replaced or patched.

This week, Kirby sent a roofer out to the home to get his opinion. A patch is much cheaper than a replacement. So, I called the insurance company and politely told them I am withdrawing the claim. I explained it wasn't personal. I just need to get the work done and the house rented. The only person out there right now was Mr. 114 who was mowing the grass and fixing the drainage issue and an errant snake who looks waayyy too cozy in my yard. 

Last I checked, "I am withdrawing the claim" is music to an adjuster's ears. After all, there is less work to do. There is no money to pay out. There are less frantic homeowners to deal with. Like I said, music!

Except this adjuster.

The adjuster actually called me about an hour after I withdrew the claim and told me not to cancel the claim! I had to pause for a moment, check around for hidden cameras and then resume my call. I was under the distinct impression adjusters were allergic to passing out money. He apologized for the delay (explaining his father had passed away the day he and I talked), but thinks I may want to reconsider. Oh? "Exactly how bad is it?" I asked. At which point the adjuster promised me some sort of paperwork tomorrow.

I don't believe I really will see anything tomorrow, but nothing was going to be happening along the lines of repairs anyway until next week. And, if I can't get my answer, I will just go on without him.

No comments: