Sunday, November 16, 2008

Spending My Money

Mrs. Waterford and I have been discussing her garage door dilemma. You see, apparently Mrs. Waterford did fully understand the small hand-held device was supposed to be purchased to remedy the non-opening garage door issue. In fact, Mrs. Waterford did do this. However, it didn't remedy the problem.

So, being the proactive tenants they are, they looked into resolving this issue themselves. It turns out the contraption called a "garage door opener" had shorted out. I know this because Mrs. Waterford told me. But, also because I called the technician (who could have been her brother-in-law or cousin for all I know, but I holding out hope this isn't isn't the case) who also gave me a longer and more technical version of "the garage door opener shorted out." Based on the history of the home, there are a few mitigating factors that made this a plausible explanation to me. The truth is, if the garage door opener is broken, I need to fix it.

At any rate, Mrs. Waterford acknowledged she was "surprised" at the cost of this installation. She was surprised? I was flat-out astonished. Mrs. Waterford's last communication to me had a trace of defensiveness to it. Like "I know I did this and you are going to pay for it." This doesn't make me happy. But, she is right. I am not going to fight over the garage door opener.

However, Mrs. Waterford strikes me as smart enough to know this won't happen twice. Because it won't. And, Mrs. Waterford has been told this. Although I appreciate her taking charge, it has been explained to her, that it still would have been quite appropriate to let me know so that I could have gotten a second quote--which may or may not have been less expensive to fix the garage door opener contraption. Because at the end of the day, I decide how I want to spend my money.

No comments: