Thursday, January 12, 2017

Today's Rental Client

So, I'm handling rentals again. For those of you new to this blog and are unsure of the significance of that last sentence, please think of finding tenants for unsuspecting landlords like this: Forcefully bang your head against a wall. Stop, gasp for breath. Decide how much pain you are in. Remove money from your bank account until you are overdrawn. If still conscious, repeat the process.

And, for those of you who read this blog and I have helped rent your home or helped you find a rental, you don't count. I like you.

The reason I am handling rentals is too extraneous for this blog, but to summarize, we have medical bills that aren't covered under our insurance for the next few months (we are fine). Additionally, the agent in my office who primarily handles property management made an emergency trip across country this week to take care of her dying mother. She is gone until further notice. So, I'm doing rentals.

Chrissy, 23, wants a place to live. In fact, she wants to move in with her best pal, Janet (also 23). The two of them have been friends for years. In fact, they were in prison together. However, they are having a bit of a trouble finding a landlord who wants to lease to a couple of young adults with multiple (did I mention MULTIPLE) felonies.

Oh yes, Chrissy also has an eviction. When I spoke with her today, she wanted to know if the eviction might be an issue. It might. But I am guessing she has bigger issues that might be harder to overlook. By the way, Janet does not have an eviction. Chrissy also wanted to know why any landlord would conduct a background check. Why indeed?

Chrissy and Janet are a referral from a professional colleague, whom I am now convinced hates me. However, I am going to give this a go and see if I can spend all of my free time and sanity finding them a place to live.

Both girls (apparently) are gainfully employed and I am told can provide letters of recommendations from their parole officers and Chrissy at least, promises she can get a co-signer. But when I talked to her, she was confused. Like a good millineal she innocently asked, "Why won't someone just give me a chance?" Someone will. Her mother.

No comments: