Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Providence

No, not the one in Rhode Island.

We accidently started our Birmingham business last year when I got a unusual phone call. A casual acquaintance called. They had moved to Birmingham and could not find anyone to rent them a home. They had found a home they liked and were wondering if we could buy it for them and rent it back to them. Strange, but plausible enough. At the time I had three local rental homes and Birmingham certainly wasn't on the radar. However, I offered to look at the deal and see if I could do something with it.

The first step was to find an agent. I did what seemed the most reasonable. I pulled up the Century 21 Web site for Birmingham and looked at the bios of all of the agents listed and randomly picked one. The guy sounded credible enough and from his picture he didn't look like an ax murderer. So, I thought I was set.

First thing Monday morning I called and asked for this guy. He wasn't in and the woman answering the phone graciously gave me his cell number. I hung up, dialed the guy and then hung up again. Why? Because I had no idea who he was and what he knew about buying investment properties.

Stupidly I called back to the Century 21 0ffice and asked to speak with the broker. The same woman answered and asked what exactly I wanted. I needed to find an agent who understood about investment properties who would be willing to take us as clients for this meager sale. "I can help you." she said.

After the first sale, she called me a few months later completely out of the blue. She asked if I remembered her. And, she then told me about this couple she was working with. Up until her husband went on disability, they qualified for a home. Now, although she had a good job, they didn't. Would I be willing to help them buy a home?

I could have ended up with any agent. I didn't necessarily call Century 21 because I had any faith in them over Prudential or Keller Williams. I just called them because... well, I don't really know why. I could have been stuck with any agent that day. She just happened to be the one who answered the phone--twice.

No comments: