Tuesday, August 26, 2014

No Thanks

So, someone called Ms. Amy about Hysteria Lane. She is moving next week from some unknown city. Apparently she loves the area and loves the pictures of my competitively priced home. However, she hasn't seen the home, much less put an application in just yet.

Apparently this woman has watched one too many cable real estate shows. That's the only reason I can possibly think of that she would offer me this deal: I would have the honor of her being my tenant for two years as long as I took a rent reduction of $200 per month--or $4,800 for the duration of the lease. In all fairness, that isn't exactly how Ms. Amy phrased it, but when I said it back to her, she admitted it was the gist.

It seems to me that these potential tenants want me to know upfront they don't value me, my property or the social conventions related to renting a home. Rules are really mere suggestions. And for that matter, these mere suggestions are made for commoners--not for people who are moving to Birmingham next week from across country. Years of experience tell me it is fair to say one can easily translate this to "We are a complete pain in the ass. We just wanted you to know."

No comments: