Saturday, February 01, 2014

Blame Game

For you old timers, you may remember Facebook Debbie, an old acquaintance who posts every drama in her life from her running out of underwear because she hadn't done laundry, to posting how she was actually folding laundry. And of course, there were usually 537 other posts during the day.

She caught my eye--and subsequently made this blog--because she had a flood in the bathroom of her rental home. The landlord took care of it as quickly as humanly possible, but the work was slow. It lasted three days. She didn't have renter's insurance and many of her belongings (which weren't neatly put away) were water-damaged. She also managed do detect "toxic mold." In Arizona. In August. Neither is likely. Her saga played on for months with her finally suing--and loosing to--her former landlord for damages. She said the judge was blinded by the landlord's wealth and a few other absurdities that ended up in this blog.

I am only reminding you of this story, because I fear, dear three readers, I am about to live Facebook Debbie's Landlord's nightmare.

You see, Friday morning a pipe at my tenant's home burst. It burst because the tenant didn't turn on the tap so as the frozen pipe was thawing, the pressure inside the pipe could be released. Hence, more than 100 gallons of water flooded into my home and has done more damage than I can humanly imagine. I will eventually get pictures I am sure.

By mid-morning, a plumber was on the premises. Bruce, Mario's minion was also there. And by noon, the insurance company had been notified of the damage, a water restoration company had been called and all was moving forward as quickly as possible. Bruce and I had developed a game plan to effectively tackle this unfortunate accident.

However, it will be later today (Saturday) before the tenant has water. It will be several days before the house dries out and is back in ship-shape. It is up to the adjuster to decide if I need a new cabinet and carpet. I don't know. It depends how things dry out. And, that will obviously be the first step.

Also by mid-morning, the tenant had already called another of Mario's minions and asked what I was going to do to compensate the her. When Bruce told me this, I think he was expecting some sort of answer that would make everyone--especially which ever one of Mario's minions gets to be the messenger--feel better.

My answer was simply: I know this is a major inconvenience. And, I am working to restore this as quickly as possible. I am terribly sorry if the tenant is misplaced for a night. It is very unfortunate. The difference between the tenant owning the home and the tenant renting the home is who is going to pay the bill for this unfortunate occurrence. If the tenant owned the home, she would also be displaced and inconvenienced just long as if she rents it. So therefore, no. I will not give her any sort of money for her troubles. In fact, if she had just opened the tap the night before, she wouldn't have any troubles. And neither would I. And dare I say, I believe she owes me for my inconvenience. She caused this.

I somehow don't think anyone on Mario's staff will add that last part. But I wish they would.

No comments: