Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Coming Up Daisies

I am in week two of my vacation and about as relaxed as a girl can be. Under the circumstances.

Maybe even a little bit more.

To back up, the Friday after Thanksgiving Daisy sent me an e-mail saying my home in Pinson is about to be vacant and she may want to rent it out herself. This was news to me because I had no idea it was about to be vacant. Daisy said she was traveling that weekend and just let her know. What I found out through the course of the next few days is that Daisy's brother was on life support and they were planning on saying good-bye the following Wednesday. That would be the same Wednesday that Mario sent a "welcome to the family" letter to me and all of Kirby's landlords.

I knew about Daisy's situation so I thought I would wait until Thursday to ask her what was going on. However, many landlords who were unaware of her family issue did not know and they called her immediately--while she was in the hospital grieving over her dear brother. And that's how she found out she was going to be unemployed at the end of the year.

Meanwhile, Daisy and I chatted via text, with me hearing from her every so often with a note from her saying, "I will call you in 10 minutes," which she never did. Finally today--the day after the funeral--I called her. Though I wish to be sympathetic to her situation, I still needed to figure out what to do.

It turns out Daisy has been offered another another position with a different company and if I wanted, she would take my homes with her. Apparently her opinion of Mario and mine are about the same with her saying a few more choice adjectives to describe him and his lineage.

Truthfully, I wasn't sure if I wanted her to take all my homes. "Is the company you would be working for the same one I had discussed in length with the Alabama Attorney General's office?" I asked? No. "Is it any of the following companies I immensely dislike?" I asked, listing off about six of them. Apparently not. "Are other landlords going with you too?" Yes they are. "Will you honor the property management agreements I have in place already?" Yes she will. There were a bunch more questions. But you get the gist.

One idea was to let Mario have the other home I have in Calera (he manages one down there already) and my home in Alabaster. These properties are all located near each other and away from my other gazillion homes.  I also offered her a chance too not manage my vacant home in Centerpoint. Mario manages a few homes already on that street and that one seems to be a bit of a challenge. Daisy wanted to keep all of those properties. And all the other ones she takes care of too.

We also talked about my other drama that I was made privy of by Opal last week: My tenant in Fultondale is still behind on the rent. That is something for another blog and not something I want to address this week. Essentially, I want to get through my vacation first.

And yes, for the record, if Daisy wants to rent the home in Pinson, it was hers. But if she is living there it won't be in property management and she needed to fill out all of my applications and lease documents. She said she would let me know over the weekend if it would work for her. Hopefully this will all work out for the best.

No comments: