Monday, April 02, 2012

Teaching an Old Tenant New Tricks

There is a certain level of dysfunction I am willing to put up with from Ms. Kathy. Part of it is expected--because I swear she can't stay on the straight and narrow for more than about three months before she gives me fits. And part of it surprises me time after time. I tolerate Ms. Kathy for two simple reasons:

1. Dealing with Ms. Kathy gets wrapped up quicker than kicking her out and finding a new tenant who will probably have a whole new set of baggage that I will hate more

2. Ms. Kathy comes through in the end and her baggage is tolerable

Recently, Ms. Kathy reverted back to her old ways, making me curse her name. And, because Ms. Shirley is out of my life (hooray!!!), Ms. Kathy is holding the honor of being my highest maintenance tenant. And, let me tell you, she didn't disappoint.

Last month she forgot to tell me she forgot to mail the rent in. She only remembered when I sent her a text saying, "where the hell is my rent"  "I haven't seem to have gotten your rent check yet. May I inquire as to what day it was mailed?" At which point I found out she has new bearings on her truck.

And, for about the 2,373,981 time, I reminded Ms. Kathy that by letting me know these things up front and not making me hunt her down, I am more inclined to be in good humor to her last-minute emergencies and less likely to pellet her e-mail with veiled threats and multi-syllable words.

Apparently Ms. Kathy took my advice to heart. Today I was utterly shocked when Ms. Kathy e-mailed me and asked if she could pay most now and the rest in a couple of weeks. That is a major break-through in the landlord-Ms. Kathy relationship. She actually asked first.

I told her yes. Because it really is easier to work with her than deal with a vacant home for two months and a new tenant's baggage. And because (historically) Ms. Kathy does come through in the end.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL Ms. Kathy is a hoot! She can be mind blowing most of the time but she is well-meaning and she does take good care of the property and like you said "she comes through in the end". I'm sure it's annoying to have to treat her like a teenager who refuses to do their chores. LOL