Thursday, May 12, 2011

The Noble Mr. Noble

Mr. Noble e-mailed me on Sunday. If he hadn't, I was planning on contacting him anyway. You see, his lease is up next month. What he wanted to know is if he could go month-to-month?

I was so pleased to read this. For one thing, I was pretty certain he would be leaving after his lease. And, with my two newish problem tenants, it made my heart sing to know I could delay Mr. Noble's inevitable departure another few months (and hopefully he won't choose to move out in December).

But even more to the point, even though leases have their place, I actually prefer month-to-month with my established tenants. With a 30 day notice, they can give notice. Or, I can give them notice. Or, if I really want them out but think just giving them notice isn't exactly going to go well, I can tell them in 30 days I am raising the rent by $500. If they don't move, the garnishment will be more. But, it is certainly motivating for them to leave.

In Mr. Noble's case, I suspect he prefers a short-term commitment. Last year he took issue with my lease when I put him on the hook for an entire year (hence, the purpose of the lease). Perhaps he is looking to purchase a home? Or perhaps after last month's tornadoes he is seeing the Birmingham rental housing market become more scarce (my personal fantasy)? Either way, he is staying for now.

No comments: