Sunday, May 08, 2011

In Case You Are Reading This, Happy Mother's Day

When I testified last February, one of the baselines the lawyer for my former tenant used to justify she (the former tenant) and I had been "friends" was that I had wished her a Happy Mother's Day. It was a lame attempt at the time, and even now I laugh about it. But Legal Eagle warned me not to do it again.

Mother's Day is important to me. My life changed the moment I found out I was pregnant with Polly--a child who was never supposed to be. Today, I received two e-mails from tenants wishing me a Happy Mother's Day. I would have preferred to send back a note of the same, but I know better. One bitter tenant ruined it for the rest of my very good tenants.

I no longer wish tenants Happy Mother's Day. I no longer send baby presents to tenants who are new mothers or grandmothers. I no longer acknowledge birthdays or other special occasions that make life so personal that tenants share with me. Why? Because I don't know if I will ever have to testify against another tenant. I won't take that chance again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day Fiona!!