Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Believe It or Not

Jim and Mary are landlords. They came by this honestly, knowing full well they were planning on doing so when they opted to buy a bigger home a few years ago. Recently their rental went vacant for the first time in three years, and they traversed into the new territory of tenant screening.

When this happened, Jim's first call was to me. Did I happen to have a rental application he might be able to use? Yes, yes I did. I even offered to run credit and a background check.

A few weeks later, Jim followed through, sending me said completed application and asking me to do my magic. Jim isn't the first friend who has asked for help this way. Because I am something akin to a "legitimate business" I have signed up with a company that will run these searches. They just don't run them for the average Tom, Jim and Mary.

What I got back was a pretty reasonable picture of the tenant to be. A single woman, presumably going through a divorce. I knew this just by looking at her credit report--she has a house payment but she is moving. Her credit score is fabulous. People with fabulous credit scores don't generally walk away from the homes they bought more than 10 years ago without good reason. Hence, a divorce.

The prospective tenant in question also had a bit of consumer debt. On her application, she said one number, the credit report said another. It wasn't too far off, but I am guessing she downplayed it for Jim and Mary's sake.

When I talked to Jim and Mary I gave them the information. I told them I was somewhat concerned about the amount of consumer debt, and would want to know the stability of the prospective tenant's job. If her job is stable, then by all means, she can pay her bills and she won't be an issue. Additionally, I would want to know who is assuming the long-term debt in the marriage. The last thing Jim and Mary need three months from now is to hear rent was going to be late because the prospective tenant needed to make a car payment. But otherwise, this person looked good to go.

"You would not believe the number of weirdos I  have talked to." Mary confided in me, regarding the applicants she had received before this woman.

Actually, I would believe the number of weirdos Mary had talked to. And yes, based on what I saw on her application and background check, this tenant was definitely a dream come true.

No comments: