Monday, October 11, 2010

Money Well Spent?

I don't exactly struggle with my decision to hire Kirby as much as I feel some sort of need to justify spending the money. Essentially, he is doing what I have been doing for years. And, he costs more.

I think of it like owning a family pet. Fluffy eats the food you buy, lives in your dwelling, but doesn't really provide any actual quantifiable value. Yes, your feet might be warmer on a cold night while Fluffy carefully lays on them. But, after feeding, vet bills and other expenses are you really getting your money's worth? Find me one pet owner who says no.

Statistically, my sample size to justify Kirby is two homes--the ones in Calera. Is it fair to judge Kirby by the success or failure of these two homes? Statistics can be a messy quantifiers. For example, Ian Kennedy, starting pitcher for the Arizona Diamondbacks, managed to eek out nine wins this season. Statistically, that is pretty darn awful. However, what isn't said is the Arizona Diamondbacks bullpen (that would be the relief pitchers for the uninterested) managed to blow a majority of Kennedy's games, rendering him a fabulous pitcher with a loosing record. In fact, the bullpen managed to blow 50 of the 96 losses the Snakes made--which makes Kennedy's nine wins more amazing. The bullpen didn't blow those.

Essentially, I pay Kirby a portion of the first month's rent, and then a percentage of the rent every month thereafter for the duration of the lease. In return I still have some headaches and still have to write the check when things go wrong. This is where I get lost. As much as I appreciate Kirby, I am not sure I need him.

It isn't as if I plan to fire him. But there is a part of me--probably the high-strung type A part of me that has control issues--that feels like I should have held out longer. After all, with Carolsue's help, we were surviving without Kirby for years. Now I have Kirby and Carolsue.

My rhetorical question is: what have I spent my money on and was it worth the cost?

To be continued.

No comments: