Wednesday, May 24, 2006

God is from Alabama--Just Ask Anyone Else From There

I spoke with a lender yesterday who asked me my religion. Normally, this wouldn't come up in professional conversation, but in Alabama, God is more prevalent in casual conversation than the weather. When I said I was Catholic this gentleman explained he was Baptist and then went on to mention how he knew a few people who were Catholic and how all of these folks are alright and he even recently went to a Catholic fish fry and had a nice time. Out here in the West that would be quite unusual, not to mention quite personal, but he isn't the first in Alabama to ask me my religion, recoil with horror and then either try to save my soul or explain that they will do their best to accept me.

I find it refreshing to work with people who believe in God. For the most part, people in Alabama are genuine and friendly. I have yet to meet a pretentious Alabamian. I find them to be hard working, and more importantly, grounded. They want to associate with like-minded individuals. Their faith in The Almighty is something they are proud of and it unites them under a common ground. It is one of biggest factors that attract me to these folks.

To clarify a point from my last post: Apparently Heritage Electric will return phone calls after I leave 5 of them in a week and my agent leaves her fair share too. Sadly they don't seem to grasp the concept of time zones, but we can't have everything I guess. The jury is out on the work they do.

No comments: