Wednesday, November 25, 2015

I'm Not Taking the Heat for this One

A year ago, we closed our PO Box. Frankly at that point in our accidental business, the only mail I was getting was credit card solicitations and a mortgage statement for the home on Hysteria Lane. This particular home is in Mr. Partner's name. At the time, I closed it, I told Mr. Partner please call the bank and have the mortgage statements sent to either me or Bliz. I didn't care which. We just needed to make sure we could pay them.

Meanwhile, because I wasn't getting the bill for the home, and the mortgage was being paid automatically every month, I didn't give it much thought. I figured Mr. Partner has forwarded the statement to Bliz. Additionally, because Bliz and I have much, much more pressing items to discuss other than silly mortgage statements, it never came up. Why would it? To my knowledge, the mortgage was being paid.

But behind the scenes, months ago, Mr. Partner had started getting calls from this particular bank. And you know what he did? He ignored them. Yep. He didn't answer one call. Presumably, he also got mail to his home address (because, trust me on this one, when a bank wants money, they find every avenue to tell you that you are late).

Anyway, Mr. Partner got a phone call today. This time he didn't ignore it. And boy was he mad.

When he called Marty (thank God, he called Marty and not me), he wanted to make sure heads were rolling. Apparently there is a problem. What do you know? The payments we have been making for the past year are completely incorrect. In fact, because we have been shorting the payments for so long, the mortgage company has raised our payment amount significantly. Maybe it is just me, but it would have been nice to know this much, much sooner.

Of course, if the payments had been coming to me or Bliz all along, or if he had answered his phone or mail for the past few months this might have not been an issue at all.

No comments: