Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Mario Party

Sadly it appears my relationship with Mario's company is tenuous at best. It isn't that I dislike these people on a personal level, though they are working really hard for me to do so. Simply, they they have spent the summer grating on my last nerve.

For example, after a repair was made without my authorization, everyone seemed to get on the same page. In fact a few days later, the tenant made another request for repair. This time for a ceiling fan. This time the work order was sent to me for authorization.

The work order was forwarded to two people before it was sent to me. In the "special notes" section of the work order it stated: "Fiona Landlord." I swear I am not paranoid by nature. However I got the distinct impression that was code for "She's a complete pain in the ass."

Because of the ongoing issue Flip is taking care of, I asked for a copy of the lease on this house. I did receive it. I also received a long dissertation from Mario's minion on the correct procedure for getting a copy of the lease for my house. That's nice. However, when time is of the essence, I am not interested in figuring out my login to some Web site, having my password reset and then spending an hour and a half combing through this and that to find the lease. When I ask Kirby's folks for this kind of thing, I actually get it without any sass.

And finally, if I wasn't through enough with these clowns, they have a new employee: Danny. Danny e-mailed me last Friday and relayed a request from the tenant. His request was polite, professional and referred to me as "Mrs. Landlord." In his request, he told me the tenant has a 6 year old, 15 pound dog that was currently living in foster care. Would I allow her pet?

I am not a fan of dogs in a rental property, but I don't have a problem with a crate trained, housebroken adult dog. In this case, the tenant has a two year lease and I am probably changing out the carpet anyway when she moves out.

I told Danny that was fine, she could have the dog (with correct deposits, etc.). I also mentioned as a rule I wasn't excited about pets in rentals. In his reply, he greeted me with "Hey Ma'am" instead of Dear Mrs. Landlord--which is the level of familiarity we were on.

There is no, "Hey Ma'am"! That is not my name. I don't "hey ma'am" anyone I am on a professionally-named basis with.

Anyway, Danny wrote back saying, "Hey Ma'am..." and suggested I "sleep on my decision." What??!! I already said yes to the dog. I again told him it was fine, I didn't want to put more thought into it and by the way, next time I am in town I will probably want to tour this house. I haven't done so in years.

Danny wrote me back Sunday morning. He was back to Mrs. Landlord. However, he told me I'd better give him 48 hour notice before I show up.

Yes. I will do that. That would be common courtesy. But beforehand it would be really awesome if he he and his colleagues stopped bossing me around.

2 comments:

CarolSue said...

Few thoughts that ran through my mind as I read your post today: (1) Funny how a "15 pound" dog in reality is usually a 50 pound pitt. (2) Wonder why her dog was in foster care? (3) Danny boy needs a slap down to remember to respect his elders (and by elders I mean boss - because when you're the client you are in essence the boss) (4) The tenant wants YOU to pay for a ceiling fan? As you know I worked at a very upscale apartment complex on the river. We mostly housed doctors who worked at St. Jude's. Talk about having to use kid gloves! But having said that we never ever paid for a ceiling fan. Our rule was that if a tenant wanted a ceiling fan he/she could go out & buy it & our maintenance guy would install it. When they moved - the fan stayed right where it was. (5) I still think you need to send a certified letter to Mario detailing the procedures you have in place for spending YOUR money on repairs. Then if he violates those procedures - he's gone.

Fiona D. said...

The dog was in foster care, because the tenant moved very suddenly and liked my home enough/fit their needs enough to want it. Danny had told her no dogs up front before I got involved.

I have seen a picture of the dog. I have also passed on a message that when I come to visit "in a few months" I will be meeting the dog (no plans at this time).

The ceiling fan was already installed and broken--though I have never seen a place with more broken ceiling fans than Birmingham Alabama. It is almost like some sort of broken ceiling fan pandemic.

Mario's top minion got a lovely
"Bless your heart, and the horse you rode in on" e-mail from me the other day. I think we have cleared up a few things--except Danny's manners. I will let his momma handle that.