Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Danville

As a pro-active stand on his possible impending lay-off, Marty Sunshine had an initial interview today with a company out of state*. This job interests him, but it was just a first interview and currently there is no reason to get too excited about it.

However, because change freaks me out, last night I did my general recon of this potential location. I looked into some of the basics: the cost of living, crime and how far away the Costco was from the city which we could be potentially living in (three hours). I also checked into home schooling laws for that state. Actually, just like Phineas and Ferb, this job is in a "Tri-State Area", so I have my choice of home school laws. The state in question had a Web site dedicated to the their home school laws, and just to make things interesting, the site was riddled with type-os. 

What I don't know just yet (and it may not matter if he doesn't get past the first interview) is where to live over there. Trying to figure out where the most desirable rental area happens to be, I pulled up the local school district. The thought is that the better areas had better schools. Apparently in this city, that is not the case. Not only were they not boasting their fabulous test scores, they weren't boasting much about anything. Instead, the district posted an "action plan," explaining what they were going to do in the up-and-coming school year to improve their lot in life. I am thinking there is a reason the population has expanded into the tri-state area.

So, I am still not freaking out about three (and soon to be four) vacant homes. I have no energy.


*In all fairness, he has three interviews this week. The other two positions are local-ish. One decided against because the commute was 70 miles a day.

No comments: