Thursday, January 17, 2013

Awkward Options

The big question Marty and I have been debating this week is what to do with the house we owned with Jack. Now that Jack is no longer in the picture, we have options.

One avenue we are exploring is just selling the place. We probably could get slightly more than we paid for it, though with real estate fees, we would probably break even or make a little bit, given Jack gave us his down payment in the dissolution decree. However, it might be the most advantageous of our options.

So, I e-mailed Kirby and asked if he wanted to handle a sale. He said he would, but I would probably hear from him once in a blue moon as he is busy with that whole property management thing and doesn't have time for a sale. It was one of the two e-mails I had sent Kirby that day, and I still haven't gotten a reply from the other e-mail, so I am guessing he being my agent is not a win-win.

I could also ask Jack if he wants to sell it. But that seems awkward. "Hey Jack, want to sell the house you bailed on and be the only one who walks away with cash in your pocket because you will be paid a commission for selling it?"

Instead, I went to the Internet, found someone who is selling a home in the general neighborhood and contacted that guy. I explained I have a home in the neighborhood and am thinking about selling it. What did he think it was worth?

This is really a trick question, because I know what it is worth. I also know I am probably putting in new carpet and doing some painting as well. But, I wanted this guy's opinion just to see how credible he is. Real estate agents who give their sellers some inflated number so they can get the sale always disappoint. I know this. I have lost listings to these types of agents. Over-inflating a home's value does nobody any good in the long run. But, the process does weed out the honest agents from the snake oil sales people.

The agent, Mike, played phone tag this morning with him leaving a message saying hello. My return call to him was simply to request he call me to discuss my situation, as I saw no reason to go into the long-winded details in a voice mail. When he did return my call, he left a message saying there was no reason to call him back, he would just send over comps later today and we could go from there.

Well, yes there is a reason to talk, I hadn't given him the actual address of my home.

If Mike comes back with comps for the right property I will probably hire him on the spot for showing such initiative and clairvoyance in finding the correct home of mine in question. However, I am thinking right now this is a sign from above that I need to move on.

1 comment:

Ernie said...

When I lived in the perfect neighborhood back home, we had 2 real estate agents who literally went up and down the street talking folks into listing their homes with them. They had one house already & had it at an enormously over-inflated price. So they then got 10 of the neighbors to list their houses (again at incredibly inflated prices) so that the duo could sell the original house at a higher than normal price (which they did) then all the other houses just sat on the market until the neighbors got mad and fired the duo. I heard these guys had done this all over town and eventually they were run out of town on a rail (figuratively speaking). LOL