Sunday, January 08, 2012

How I Spent My Weekend

Friday, I hit the ground running. I managed to fold six loads of laundry, other household chores, feed children and handle the meager home schooling lesson I had planned, with me directing the kids to figure out how to split subatomic particles on their own, with only youtube instructions. Meanwhile, I managed to spend an enormous amount of time on the phone, between real estate clients and agents, trying to get two contracts ironed out.

Friday was also the onset of Girl Scout Cookie season (if you want cookies, let me know and Polly will call you), and I am one of the two people in charge of said cookies and that required a bit of handling too. Additionally, I am running next Thursday's Girl Scout meeting, so I was researching easy recipes to teach 11 girls ranging in age from 5 to 12. Oh yes! I just found out we can't use the stove in Girl Scout meeting place. So "cooking" is now going to look a lot like fruit salad and finger sandwiches and a lot less like the homemade pretzels we were going to make.

All the while, I was waiting impatiently for either Marty Sunshine to return home for lunch or the dirt we payed to have delivered to show up. As soon as Marty was home, I was out the door, racing to my client's office 20 miles away to give her what I had: a bunch of papers for her to sign. I got back in time to find 14.5 tons of dirt in front of my home, blocking the sidewalk and part of the street. Incidentally, 14.5 tons of dirt is about 20 feet in circumference and 10 feet high--just in case you are curious.

Marty Sunshine worked from home Friday afternoon, so I started shoveling 14.5 tons of dirt onto our front yard for the next hour. Polly and Buckaroo helped, by sliding down the dirt hill and bringing me the wagon to fill.

My dirt shift ended around 2:30, and I went in to start my y'all job. After my y'all job, I went to Home Depot with Marty, bought a wheelbarrow and together we went back to shoveling, raking and moving the 14.5 tons of dirt the house elves hadn't bothered to touch in our absence. We stopped long after dark, with me crawling into bed to get ready for my next y'all shift mere hours later.

Saturday, my day started at 4 a.m. I worked for y'all. I showed homes and I shoveled dirt (Marty Sunshine asked me to add, that he shoveled dirt all day Saturday and did the majority of the shoveling work, not that anyone for an instant thought otherwise).

At 2 p.m. I washed off the dirt stuck to me, and once again went back out again, to negotiate a contract. An hour and a half later, I was on the phone, explaining to the agent, my clients agreed to the terms and conditions set forth by the contract, but if she could give me until 5:30 to fax her the contract instead of 5 p.m., it would afford me the opportunity to actually attend church with my family this evening. Was that a possibility?

And with her blessing, and me asking her her not to take the backup offer she has in place, I managed to scoot my buns into the pew in time to see Buckaroo the Altar Boy, carry the crucifix down the aisle as mass started.

I also managed to get home by 5:27 and get the contract faxed back over. Marty and the kids went out for dinner, I stayed home and moved dirt, with them arriving around 8 p.m. for a nice family game of Clue.

Today I am working on taxes. And in the event you are also curious, the pile of paperwork for several LLCs, and corporation, self employment and other ancillaries are about 20 feet in circumference and 10 feet high.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have been out of bed for about 20 minutes. After reading this, I think I'm crawling back in bed.....it made me TIRED...