Saturday, February 16, 2008

For Shame

The mortgage fairy doesn't exist. This was the phrase I did not use with one of the people in my program this week. I actually had someone tell me this week the reason they are constantly late is because all their bills are due on the same day.

What I did say is that due dates aren't friendly suggestions. I also mentioned that having a place for my children to live is a top priority (ok, not in those exact words).

Less than two hours later, I received a phone call from the husband. He told me this was all their fault and they would make it right. A huge change from the woe-is-me-all-of-our-bills-are-due-on-the-same-day spiel I got from his wife the day before.

It is unfortunate to have to resort to shaming someone to get to them pay their bills. But, if it gets them to take their bills seriously, I am willing to do it. It sure beats the legal route.

No comments: