Thursday, May 15, 2014

Reality Television is NOT Real

I have an applicant for my home in Pinson. Apparently this applicant hasn't spoken with Ms. Nosy. Which is fine by me. I wish I was jumping up and down about this person. However, I am able only to muster a "yay" in a monotone whisper when the occasion arises, but that is about it.

The applicant "loves the house." And "wants to stay there forever." And all sorts of other platitudes potential tenants say to property managers when they like a home. However, she also wants to know if I will "work with the deposits" in exchange for her painting the bathrooms. Mind you, the bathrooms were painted in March. I don't care if she re-paints the bathrooms on her dime. But she isn't doing me any favors to change the color at this point.

What bothered me was the idea of leveraging her deposit for a couple cans of paint. If things go South, her deposit is all I have. I asked Ms. Amy if the applicant has the deposit, just needs it broken down or just thinks this is some warped version of some reality television show where she is supposed to negotiate everything. Ms. Amy didn't know. I am guessing the later.

And speaking of negotiating everything, the applicant in question wants a $200 rent reduction. Her reasoning is that this house has been on the market for so long. I swear I almost rejected her on the spot for that logic. Except the house has been on the market for so long and really does need a tenant. But it has been on the market forever because of other factors. Not because the home is terrible. Because it isn't.

What I did do was say I would go down $100 (and told Ms. Amy to lower it by that amount for anyone else looking). I also said she could paint the bathrooms to her heart's content (with landlord approved colors) but the deposits would be upfront.

My parting comment to Ms. Amy was that I felt tenants who think we are negotiating a Mid-East peace treaty tend to be drama for the duration of their lease. I could cite examples, but my guess is she has had plenty to choose from.

No comments: