Tuesday, December 27, 2011

In Other News...

Along with Ms. Shirley, on Monday, I sent a rare text to Ms. Angie asking where my rent happened to be. It isn't rare to text Ms. Angie, as I prefer communicating with her this way. I actually understand what she is saying. It is rare Ms. Angie is late on the rent.

What I got back was a text from Ms. Angie, telling me rent was going to be late because she had used part of it to buy Christmas presents for her grandchildren. My reply was, "What a coincidence! I was going to use that same money to pay the mortgage on your home."

In no less than 47 seconds after I sent the text I received a frantic call from Ms. Angie. I believe she was apologizing and explaining I would see rent this week, but I can't be sure. She said something about being sorry but the rest was lost in the translation. I just cannot decipher Southern black woman when Ms. Angie is upset.

When things seemed to be square between us, Ms. Angie then started talking very quickly again with her thick drawl. She did this for another 15 minutes or so, with the only words I completely and utterly understood were "drive-by shooting" and "next door."

Yep. No mistaking that.

I am certain she told me nobody was hurt and the folks were caught. Or at least relatively certain. I might text her later just to be sure.

1 comment:

CarolSue said...

Probably the worst thing (or at least in the very top 3) to say to your landlord "I used part of the rent to buy Christmas presents". Not smart. She should have come up with something like "as I was walking to my car to take the rent money down to buy a money order, there was a drive by shooting next door. The thugs saw me carrying the cash and ran over, hit me in the head and stole the money". Now THAT sounds much better. Maybe I need to call her and give her a 101 class??