Monday, April 28, 2014

Speechless

Oh... there is never a dull moment in Landlord Land. Today was no exception.

Luigi's assistant, Ms. Amy, called me today. You see, she has the perfect potential tenants who are ready to rent my home. And please, oh please! Would I approve them and their demand for an eight month lease? And just so I knew, they originally wanted a six month lease but Ms. Amy told her up front I would not accept anything less than an eight month lease--so at least that was taken care of. And what did I think?

When I asked why a short term lease, Ms. Amy told me the potential tenants in question are building a home and the builder told them the home would be ready in six months.  "So basically they would be moving out in six months no matter what the lease term was?" I asked. "And, they wouldn't care if there was a hit on their credit for skipping on their lease because at that point, they would owe their home and they have nothing to loose?"

Ms. Amy was silent for a moment or two before she replied, "I hadn't thought of that." And then, as if she had completely missed the gist of my comment she said, "Maybe I could ask them to sign a one year lease instead."

"Won't they still be moving in six months either way?" I asked. And again Ms. Amy was at a loss for words.

With all due respect to Ms. Amy, I will pass.




3 comments:

Home Genie said...

So maybe what you're saying is a minimum 1 1/2 year lease? Then you'll let them move in? ;)

Fiona D. said...

No. Just a year. And not someone who has already told me they will be leaving after six months.

Ernie said...

How about a six month lease at twice the rent? Or a year lease with a lease cancelation clause agreeing to pay an amount equal to 6 months rent if they move early for any reason? Great thing about them owning a house is if they skip, there's property to attach a lien on.